In this article we’ll tell you why it’s important to choose cruelty-free and vegan skin-care products. In addition, we’ll give you tips to select the ones that best suit your needs!
The use of animals for testing in the pharmaceutical and cosmetic industry had its origin in the 1930s, due to the tragic commercialization of an antibiotic that was fatal in more than 100 children and adults.
Today, the amount of animals losing their lives due to testing in cosmetics is estimated at close to half a million a year, according to Humane Society International. These tests are supposed to determine if the products may cause general illness or health hazards. However it is known that many of these experiments produce results that are not reliable when applied to humans. Consequently, these tests can result in pain, distress, blindness, swollen eyes, sore and bleeding skin, and even death in the animals.
But.. animal testing it’s banned in the EU. Isn’t it?
Even though animal testing and marketing it’s banned in the EU, there are clauses in the law that allow or require a raw material or product to be tested on animals. Usually, this could happen only in case of serious safety concerns regarding the use of an ingredient. Such as some ingredient that cannot be replaced by another or if there’s evidence of human health problems.
A survey of the world’s top 50 cosmetics companies revealed that 88% of them use animal testing. Meaning that of the 50, only 6 are cruelty-free. This means that globally, it remains a matter of concern.
What about ingredients?
On the other hand, there are ingredients. The demand for vegan cosmetics is on the raise. This refers to cosmetics that do not contain any animal-derived ingredients, including beeswax or carmine. A study from Cruelty Free Kitty showed that 29% of cruelty-free consumers only buy cosmetics that are also vegan.
According to Hear Me Raw, this are the top 6 ingredients used in the beauty business that come from animals:
- Keratin: which is made from ground-up horns, hooves, feathers, quills, and hair from a variety of animals like goats.
- Tallow: simply put, tallow is animal fat.
- Collagen: boiling cow and pig hooves, bones, tendons, and ligaments. And degraded collagen becomes gelatin.
- Lanolin: this wool wax is produced by the sheep’s sebaceous glands to help shed water and keep the sheep dry
- Cochineal dye: cochineal beetles are wingless female insects that, when crushed, release a crimson substance called carminic acid, which produces a natural red color.
- Guanine: crystalline guanine is derived from powdered fish scales.
We’ve decided to share this information because we believe that animal cruelty must be eliminated in all its forms. And so, this is one of the pillars of our Bluehouse project. The good news is that there are lots of cruelty-free, vegan and waste-reducing options at our marketplace.
How to have an awesome vegan skincare routine?
1- To take your freshness wherever you go
Maintain that feeling of freshness and take this trio to go. Mini-travel trio fits easily into your carry-on bag or backpack, meaning that you can feel fresh and look great. Here are 3 simple steps on how to use it:
- Step 1 Vitamin C Serum: apply it in the morning to the entire face & neck area after cleanser and mist.
Why is it good? → The antioxidant-rich vitamin C derivative in this formula is vital for the protection of skin cells from the damaging effects of UV radiation, pollution, and other environmental factors. Moreover, it promotes the stimulation of collagen synthesis and supports surface cell turnover. + The triple fruit extracts help maintain skin elasticity and promote better blood circulation.
- Step 2 Hyaluronic Acid Serum: apply it in the morning and night before moisturizer.
Why is it good? → The hyaluronic acid helps replenish and retain an abundance of moisture for long-lasting hydration and reduce the appearance of wrinkles caused by dehydration. The pro-vitamin B5: helps to keep skin soft, smooth, and healthy.
- Step 3 Moisturizer: apply it in the morning and night after serums.
Why is it good? → This moisturizer has 3 hero ingredients: 1- Rosehip Oil: Contains high levels of fatty acids and vitamin A and C which help to hydrate dry skin and aids in the prevention of fine lines and premature aging. 2- Argan Oil: An antioxidant with fatty acids and vitamin E which improve skin hydration and elasticity. 3- Apple & Fig Extracts: The vivid and intensive colors of those fruits care for their high levels of antioxidants. Rich in essential fatty acids, Vitamin C and E.
- Step 4: Follow with SPF 30 or higher during the day.
You can get the Starter Kit or buy them separately!
2- Also, learn from Ewali Beauty the differences between using moisturizing and face oil:
Pick from our marketplace your favorites, don’t miss the 2 in 1 “serum+ moisturizer” .
3- Argan oil from Italy
Argan Oil has many benefits for your body, it can be beneficial to all skin types. It is rich in antioxidants that help protect against environmental damage, like polyphenols and vitamin E. Additionaly, this vitamin is well loved in skincare for its anti-aging and skin softening properties. It’s rich in fatty acids, these offer moisture and nourishment to the skin.
BONUS TRACK: Did you know that you can use it on your body as well as your face and hair?
- Body care: after showering apply 6-7 drops of oil onto damp skin gently massaging until absorbed.
- Face care: apply 2 drops of oil directly or add it to your face cream morning and evening.
- Hair care, apply 1-3 drops to ends and massage until absorbed. It is also great for strengthening nails.
Artemisia: Facial Oil – Cinque Sensi€28.00
Zaira: eye cream – Cinque Sensi€28.00
Cenerentola: cleanser – Cinque Sensi€24.00